• Breaking News

    Monday, March 2, 2020

    Diablo ARPG's Need to Revolutionize Combat

    Diablo ARPG's Need to Revolutionize Combat


    ARPG's Need to Revolutionize Combat

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 07:11 AM PST

    EDIT: I feel like people responded to this in a very positive way, and I appreciate that. Thanks for all of the feedback. See you all in hell.

    EDIT2: Wow, 100 upvotes. I've never had 100 upvotes on a post before. That's dope.

    Hello friends,

    Like many of you, I have logged thousands of hours across many Action RPG games--Diablo 2 (~100), Diablo 3 (~2,000), Path of Exile (~500), Grim Dawn (~200), and recently, Wolcen (~50). My introduction to hack-and-slash RPG was a gem from the 2000's; Champions of Norrath: Realms of Everquest, on Playstation 2. I was maybe 11 when I discovered that game, and I was hooked.

    In my time playing ARPG's (which, admittedly, has not been nearly as long as many of you readers), I have continually been disappointed by the same thing: the flow of combat. Too often, games market themselves as having extremely high build diversity, but having extremely simple combat.

    Ask yourself: how many times have you played a character through endgame which had only 1 damaging ability, 1 movement-related ability like a teleport, and a then a few auras to buff them, or a pet, or something? This happens all the time in Path of Exile. What is "build variety" if 70% of builds just end up having the same core gameplay loop: press 1, 1, 1, 1, press 2 to teleport to next pack, repeat--and the only real difference is the animations of your characters and abilities?

    I understand that many people enjoy ARPG's for exactly this reason. "The point isn't the combat; it's the loot" the may say, or "I play ARPG's because of the mindless grind, not in spite of it." And that is great. There is nothing wrong with these positions. But it would be excellent if ARPG's genuinely did live up to their stated mantra of "variety is the spice of life"--in short, why can't an ARPG be designed which satisfied me, and also satisfied everyone who wants simple combat? That would be real variety.

    Let's talk about World of Warcraft. WoW has excellent combat. The damage rotations of damage-dealers (DPS) range from fairly complicated (most rogue specs) to very simple (retribution paladin). But all classes require the user to use different abilities at different times. Even if you're playing the simplest class (ret paladin), you are still required to have some minimum amount of knowledge in order to properly utilize your character--you are required to make compelling decisions about what buttons to press, and when.

    I want to play an ARPG that provides me with compelling decisions about what buttons to press, and when. I want to have to build up my rage bar in order to use hard-hitting abilities, or manage my mana in a meaningful way, like with the Arcane Mage in WoW or the Black mage in FFXIV. I want combo point systems, like the Rogue in WoW. I want to use different ability rotations depending on if I'm in an AOE situation versus a single target situation.

    My hope is that Diablo 4 will provide me with these experiences.

    Edit: Typo

    submitted by /u/Clownstabber
    [link] [comments]

    Diablo OST is awesome

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 02:28 PM PST

    I sometimes play OST music while I work. (coding and debugging to be exact.) On my playlist, I have Starcraft series, Diablo series, WoW series, and other famous video games and movie OST.

    I once again realized how awesome Diablo OST is.. specially Diablo2. That acoustic guitar riff just mesmerizes me.

    submitted by /u/SkyStar1991
    [link] [comments]

    The Diablo II Experience and how I lost my Herald of Zakarum

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 06:30 AM PST

    So, I'm an on and off player and recently started playing D2 again. When I played 10+ years ago, I didn't realize how important a variety of stats were, I didn't know what Deadly Strike, Crushing Blow, et cetera did and always valued sheet-damage over attack rating. Now I'm a bit wiser and wanted to make a Zealot with a shit load of Deadly Strike and Crushing Blow. I'm Lvl 68 now, finishing my Hellforge Quest which i got a Mal Rune from. I instantly create a game "O Mal N Zaka" and someone trades me a Herold of Zakarum within 2 minutes. I happily create a game "asdasdasgsd" with the password "asdhasghd", go to Lazurk and add a socket to it. I instantly leave the game afterwards.

    But wait.

    While my screen is stuck for 1 second while exiting the game, I could see how my Zaka was dropping to the ground because my inventory was full. I don't remember the game name, nor the password.

    Now I lost my Zaka, my Hellforge Quest, and my Lazurk socket quest.

    gg.

    Edit: Also add the Diablo-font for item tooltips in Diablo 4. I hated the smooth font in D3 already

    Edit2: N Rope 15 Dura

    Edit3: I created a game " I lost my Zaka" and invited everyone to join me around the campfire in act 1 where I told them my story. One of the gave me a free 185 ed Zaka

    submitted by /u/GosuPleb
    [link] [comments]

    D2 Median XL's Itemization is the best of any RPG I've seen

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 05:53 PM PST

    There are things about median xl that a lot of people don't/won't like about this game, but I just want to focus on itemization as I think they have done Crafting, Runewords, Uniques, Sets, better than any RPG I've seen.

    I think its important to cover Item Bases (tiered items) and mystic obs (attributes that you can purchase from a vendor)


    General Items (bases)

    Item bases make the the attributes (str/dex/vit/en) matter more when allocating them. This allows you to choose between low requirement gear to put more attributes into en or vit, or higher requirement gear because you have either a dex/str build or you want more defense. This is a big determining factor for crafting crafting items and creating runewords.

    Bases can also be found in the world from tier 1 to 4 (find higher tiers further along the game) and sacred items, which are technically "the best", but tiered items have there own use case even in endgame. With every additional tier the item base gets increased Defense/attack as well as attribute and level requirements. Sacred items have the highest requirement but give great defense/attack and can only be crafted with shrines (which I will cover in crafting). That's the basic information about bases to understand how they are used.

    Purchasable Attributes (Mystic Orbs)

    Mystic orbs are items you can buy at vendors for a high price (makes gold worth something) to add specific really great attributes to gear (increased weapon damage/ all res/ magic find/ Fire damage etc..). Using a mystic orb will increase that item's level requirement by 4, which means you need to choose which ones you choose wisely (end game level is around 140). This really allows you to customize your character and items (even unique's)


    Crafting

    Crafting is generally used with shrines to create powerful rare items, jewels with specific attributes, and creating suped-up item bases for Runewords (which I will cover in Runewords Portion). Shrines are used to create powerful rare items that that have 2/3 specific guaranteed modifiers + a few more random modifiers which is what can make a crafted item great. There are 16 different types of shrines which all have their own attributes, so will be able to use crafting for any build. These items can be powerful that they can be used to beat near all content for some builds.

    Jewel crafting is also done extremely well and gives you a ton of options to re-roll jewels. You spend currency to roll a jewel with a certain rune to get a desired modifier + some random modifiers like shrine crafting. They can be rolled with 16 different runes to roll whatever is best for your build. Jewels are used with runewords and can be used if they are better than putting runes into gear.

    Runewords

    Runewords are really just uniques that you can create out of any item as long as its in the correct item group and have enough jewels to fill the sockets except for last one (this is where you put the rune for the runeword). What's great about runewords is that you can craft amazing item bases with vendor material to get more sockets and modifiers like increased Defense or weapon damage which will make your runeword absolutely amazing. They can be used in tiered or sacred items and are customized since you're choosing different bases and crafting jewels that cater to your build. This is very useful for early game as well as end game.

    Uniques

    There are generally 3 different uniques for each item base. A unique for tiers 1-4 and 2 different sacred uniques. A tiered unique will have all the same modifiers through 1-4 but the modifiers are increased with each tier. So tier 4 uniques will have the highest rolls but will have higher attribute and level requirements. This allows you to progress through the game and create a powerful build from the beginning. Tiered uniques can be created out of ANY item as long as you have the materials you have for it. So tiered uniques are great for item swapping for specific buffs.

    There are 2 different sacred unique items per base which are usually the strongest items. Sacred uniques are similar to ancient and primal ancient items only in fact that usually one of them is harder to find than others but have incredible modifiers.

    Sets

    You could say there are too many sets in this game (around 3 per class +more). All sets allow you to try different powerful builds per class. They aren't overpowered (but can clear most content) and are looked to be used for mid to late game. Sets aren't BIS but are reliable. What is so great about set items is they are easy to find and some set items can be great even if you dont have any other set pieces.


    Conclusion

    My point with typing all of this is that every item has a use case and there are so many choices and avenues you can go to reach the endgame. Understanding all the ways you can craft can take you to the next level. From leveling your first char to rushing a new one, I think the itemzation in median XL is bar none and gives you so many interesting type of choices to create your own build. There is so much I'd love to talk more about this game because I think D4 could take some really great rewarding mechanics from this game, but after reading all the itemization discussion I wanted people to be more aware about the job the devs of Median XL have done.


    TL:DR

    Every item has a use. The options and customization to gear are damn near endless and you can end up with an end game character that can be wearing a different runeword, crafted item, unique, and even individual set item. There have been soo many times I've found a Sacred unique item and thought "Damn, I want to make a new char and build around this item"

    submitted by /u/ahhshits
    [link] [comments]

    New to Diablo

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 08:37 PM PST

    Hey guys Diablo 3 was on sale in the psn store and I finally decided to give it a chance and I'm actually addicted to it.

    I started a few classes but my highest level one rn is my DH which I'm having a lot of fun with (although I run out of hatred fairly quickly). I'm thinking of running a CD reduction build on him but if anyone has a better idea I'm open to it.

    Im just posting here to see if anyone on PS4 would like to play with me and give me pointers. I'm paragon level 17 (I know that's not high) and I still feel like I barely know anything about the game. Feel free to shoot me a message on here or post your psn name below so I can add you. I'm eager to learn more and just hang out with some of you within the PS4 Diablo community.

    submitted by /u/DomCantGame
    [link] [comments]

    Diablo 4 - Cannibal Family Trailer

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 09:59 PM PST

    Do seasons start and stop at a specific time?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 12:41 PM PST

    As I was clearing a rift with my Crusader, I noticed that several of the Legendary Gems I had were not there. At first, I thought I just stashed and forgot about it. Then, I saw that mailbox thing. I'm not sure if it has a proper name.

    Either way, the season has ended. Has it been determined when the next one will begin?

    submitted by /u/AurulentAvenger
    [link] [comments]

    Diablo 3 Challenge Rift #141 Map and Strategy Guide (North America)

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 06:06 PM PST

    Still Rise of the Necromancer?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 11:25 AM PST

    Wasn't the sub's theme going to change long ago?

    (Sry if recently there were news in between, long time not closely looking at this).

    submitted by /u/trollacodel15
    [link] [comments]

    New to Diablo

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 04:59 PM PST

    Hello! I have never played a Diablo game before. I am looking for new games to try, and I am thinking about trying Diablo 3 for console. Since I'm way late to the party, is there a reason for me to get into the game? I like casual and hardcore gameplay, learning the ropes and helping other new players, and putting tons of time in a game that's deep and rewarding. I also love grinding and looting games. Would this be a good game for me to check out?

    submitted by /u/zeusandflash
    [link] [comments]

    Why Tetris is a good thing...

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 08:13 PM PST

    Why did Diablo 1 and 2 have inventory tetris when they could have easily just made a list menu a la D3 and WOW's inventory style?

    That would have saved development time and streamlined gameplay so players could 'focus on the action'.

    This is because inventory tetris was a conscious design decision.

    It was designed so you had to make choices in what you pick up, and quite ingeniously gave players the tactile feeling of sorting their stuff like you would a backpack. Like when you organize your inventory to fit that next 6-square item.

    Inventory management gives players the chance to spend more time admiring their loot and appreciating newly obtained items.

    It's extremely satisfying mousing over and admiring that unique you just found, and sticky clicking it to your stash or to your person.

    If the argument is we want to have players spend less time futzing with their loot, at what point does the game become a isometric devil may cry instead of an action-RPG game?

    I enjoyed diablo 1/2 because things like inventory tetris gave me a feeling of preparation and doing something other than killing monsters, a little variety isn't bad.

    Thoughts and arguments against?

    submitted by /u/Current-Marzipan
    [link] [comments]

    Holy crap can I not recieve my season gifts?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 04:17 PM PST

    Soooo I had recently posted some questions regarding seasons since it was my first go at them. One of the questions was about when do I get my seasons set pieces from completing chapters 2, 3, and 4. I was under the assumption that I would be given these once the season ended... only to read a response ( after the season had, I'm fact, ended) that you can retrieve them as soon as you complete the given chapter...

    Well.... here I am now, putting it back on for the first time since it has ended, and I can't find them anywhere. Did I seriously just miss out on the seasonal items I earned from completing the chapters because I didn't claim them while the season was up and running?!?!?

    Surely I can still retrieve them now? But where??

    Sorry, I am such a newb at this.

    submitted by /u/Tifoso07
    [link] [comments]

    Stairs to level 14 completely walled off?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 04:16 PM PST

    As the title says, the stairs to level 14 are completely walled off with no entrance. In my last world I had gotten to Lazarus but didn't have enough potions to beat him and no town portals so I had to restart with the same character, and now I literally can't access level 14!

    submitted by /u/DragonFox27
    [link] [comments]

    New set transmog?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 09:10 AM PST

    Anyone have a link to what the new sets look like?

    submitted by /u/WatchMySwag
    [link] [comments]

    Diablo (Hellfire) HC Warrior - dlvl1 + dlvl2 + butcher + bit of dlvl3

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 02:40 PM PST

    D3 Necro build that feels less "clunky"?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 08:35 AM PST

    I've just recently started messing around with Necro in D3..I'm somewhat wanting to try it in S20 because it seems like it synergizes particularly well with the theme.

    However so far as a relatively fresh level 70 every build I've tried feels what I would describe as "clunky". As an example, if whirlwind barb is the "smoothest" build where you can essentially keep moving and doing your thing throughout an entire rift - necro feels like it can get "stuck" a lot and you need to build back up/find resources to continue with bone lance, essence for mages, etc.

    I know that necro isn't super solo friendly, but is there a less-"clunky" build either for fresh 70s or that I can build in to? I want to give Necro an honest shot, but if its going to feel like this most of the time in solo play I don't really want to invest in it.

    submitted by /u/Laezur
    [link] [comments]

    Blazing Hydra

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 01:44 PM PST

    The runes for Hydra are poorly balanced, with non-runed Hydra dealing 165% damage, Lightning Hydra and Frost Hydra dealing 255% damage, Arcane Hydra dealing 205% damage, and Blazing Hydra dealing only 155% damage over 3 seconds. The rune for the spell that keeps it as close as possible to it's base version is literally weaker than the base version!

    I see no reason for this to be the case, and I really hope that Blizzard does something as simple as buffing Blazing Hydra's damage to be comparable to the other elemental types before the next season. As it is now, good luck trying to use fire damage, Hydra's base element type, with the Hydra set!

    submitted by /u/Acopo
    [link] [comments]

    Primal Yang only rolled 4 primary stats... is that just "bad" luck?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 10:51 AM PST

    https://imgur.com/a/IV088ZL

    I mean, I'm happy, but also confused.

    submitted by /u/Soulfly37
    [link] [comments]

    D3 Season 19 end time

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 05:47 AM PST

    So, we did it! Finished first 4 chapters of a season for the first time! However, we did it Feb. 29th through the night into March 1st...

    Will we still get the full set even though we actually finished on March 1st? Or was there a cutoff time even though we were playing seasons at the time it became March 1st?

    First time seasons player, so just curious about cut off times and stuff. Also, when do we actually recieve our new sets?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Tifoso07
    [link] [comments]

    Weekly Challenge Rift Thread - 03/02/20

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 06:00 AM PST

    Welcome to week 140 of the Challenge Rifts. Please feel free to use this thread to discuss this week's Challenge Rift. Feel free to post guides, tips, and tricks.

    Make sure you specify your region, as different regions have different Challenge Rifts.

    submitted by /u/GharbadTheWeak
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment