• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 13, 2019

    Diablo Diablo II Hell Mode - Hardcore PK'er Story

    Diablo Diablo II Hell Mode - Hardcore PK'er Story


    Diablo II Hell Mode - Hardcore PK'er Story

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 12:43 PM PDT

    With the run up to any Diablo related announcements at Blizzcon next month I wanted to share my Diablo II Hardcore Mode US East story.

    Before Diablo launched I remember reading an interview with the heads of Blizzard North talking about Hardcore mode - and how they intentionally left the ability to duel and kill other characters in hardcore to make it the most extreme version of the game.

    After the game launched, I felt like the regular version of the game was fun but hardcore provided an incredible experience - every time you'd play you put your entire playing investment on the line and one wrong move could result in months of work (and loot) going down the drain.

    The rush of hardcore mode was one of the best gaming experiences I ever had - and to this day I haven't been able to replicate it. Hardcore mode reminded me of playing fighting games in arcades when I was 10.. where if you lose you have a real penalty (paying more money to play again) but in hardcore mode, the penalty of losing was so much more severe.

    In the early days of Hardcore mode, it was a huge accomplishment to make it to Hell difficulty. Once in Hell, players would be generally cooperative because people knew that sticking together in groups was the safest way to survive. I enjoyed that part of the game.. but I kept thinking about what the creators of Diablo said in the interview about Hardcore mode.. about how crazy it would be if there were people going around killing each other in HC.

    With that in mind, I set out to become the ultimate PK'er in Hell Mode on US East. I felt like the world of Sanctuary wasn't only about cooperation - that there should be a Villain in the realm and I wanted to be that guy.

    So I went out and created a Barbarian with a build out that no one had ever seen in Hell mode. I equipped a high damage Lance which had just come out in a new patch (upgraded Pike). Every stat point went into Vitality to maximize my hit points. Whirlwind was of course my max'ed out skill of choice. And the one thing that I hadn't seen anyone else do - but that made my character completely unique, was that I max'ed out my Barbarian's running ability. I was one of the fastest characters out there.. and since there was really no reason for a character to have max'ed out speed, no one expected me to be so fast (which came in super handy when I was trying to chase people down and kill them).

    I named my first character SharpLances and after reaching about level 70 and Hell mode. And once that happened, villain mode started. I'd join any public game, hostile every group, and try to hunt them down and kill them. In the first few weeks of me doing this, no one took me seriously. A dude was coming after a party of level 70-90 characters in Hell mode? No way. And then I'd appear on their screen faster than anyone could have guessed (because of my max speed) and then the whirl winds would start. I became the hunter of US East, and my goal was to eliminate everyone I could on top of the ladder. I'd accept any dual from any type of character and I had to make mule accounts that collected all the level 50+ ears I earned. Eventually I took a 7 vs 1 dual on and SharpLances died (with all his loot).. but then I made a new character named Maximus Kilimus and the fun started all over again.

    I thought I'd share some of the screenshots I made from those early days. I'm sorry if you were one of my victims. We used to post all the time on the Diablo Zone forums back then.

    Fun side note - I did all this in high school and then I started working in the games industry in 2007. In 2011 I had dinner with the 3 founders of Blizzard North and told them the story of what I did on US East in Hardcore Mode.. and their high fives and reactions were priceless.

    submitted by /u/maximuskillimus
    [link] [comments]

    Do you think we will get a "temper your expectation" post from Blizz this year?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 04:57 AM PDT

    With about a month left to Blizzcon, do you think we will get another heartbreaking post for this franchise prior to the event?

    submitted by /u/Tiwanacu
    [link] [comments]

    Butcher in Hellfire

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 02:15 PM PDT

    Is the Butcher different in Hellfire than in Vanilla Diablo? I've been trying to kill him with a scroll of firewall. First of all, when I cast it into his room and close the door, he will stand in front of the firewall and not walk into it at all. Secondly, even if I trap him in the next-level-stairs and make him eat two full firewalls, he's not even close to dead. Yet I've read of people supposedly killing him with a single scroll. What gives?

    submitted by /u/JahMalJahSurJahBer
    [link] [comments]

    Creating socketed items for runewords

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 12:21 PM PDT

    Hello,

    Sorry for the noob post. Every time I feel like I finally have my head wrapped around this, I find myself doubting what I should do...

    Starting from scratch, how would you go about creating a 5-socket weapon? Specifically a scepter.

    Is it RAL + AMN + perfect amethyst + "normal" weapon (scepter) = random socket amount? So, I might want to wait to use the Act 5 +1 socket quest reward until after trying this? Also, a "normal" weapon is one using white text, only?

    Do the number of sockets I might find on any given weapon increase with level? Can small weapons still have 6 sockets?

    Please feel free to recommend a website. I played Diablo 2 a lot back in the day, but I'm still getting reacquainted with the details.

    Edit: I just saw Kanai's cube FAQ. I will be reading up!

    Re-edit: Gorrammit. LOL... NOT THE SAME THING! I never played Diablo 3!

    submitted by /u/RoninGaijin
    [link] [comments]

    I remembered how hyped I felt when seeing this and how dissapointed that the final game was just a grindfest.

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 10:45 AM PDT

    Diablo II v1.09 Chaos Runs - Classic Players!

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 06:29 AM PDT

    QoL inventory suggestions for D4/D2 Remake

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 10:48 AM PDT

    • Auto-dump loot from inventory into stash
    • Search by item category feature in stash, where all items are categorically organised in an alternative window.
    • Endless potential stash space

    Organising stash/inventory space is not difficult but rather tedious & unrewarding for the most part. This seems to be an unnecessary feature for the ARPG genre centred around hacking, slashing & looting.

    submitted by /u/Reviath
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a full list of changes going from PS3 to PS4 version of Diablo 3? Specifically the class changes.

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 02:56 PM PDT

    I played through all the classes in the PS3 version, and I recently I picked up the PS4 version for dirt cheap.

    I'd rather not go through all those classes all over again just to find out what they all are, but I know all the classes got a number of skills that work completely differently from what they were in the PS3 version that stopped getting updated.

    I forgot the specifics, but I recall a skill involving frogs for the Witch Doctor is much different in PC/PS4 version, same with one of the Barbarian's bash runes that sent two shockwaves is supposedly different.

    Where's a fuil list of changes, because for the life of me I can't find it anywhere.

    submitted by /u/GreenColoured
    [link] [comments]

    In addition to fun stylish characters like the Monk or Witch Doctor, D4 should have a traditional Knight in armor or a Paladin.

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 03:36 PM PDT

    I use the Monk as an eastern/middle eastern knight of sorts; Crusader and Barbarian are tanks for sure but I think a classic "knight" with a more grounded, realistic look would be great.

    D2's Paladin did pretty well. He had some magic of course but he was a pretty basic silver armored knight.

    submitted by /u/JWAxeMan
    [link] [comments]

    Challenge rifts worth the try?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 08:50 AM PDT

    Been considering trying the Challenge Rift and if its worth it (in regards to fun and rewards)... What are your experiences and thoughts on it?

    submitted by /u/isingtomyducky
    [link] [comments]

    Killing other players is still Possible!

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 07:43 AM PDT

    People in Hardcore should watch out, its still Possible to get killed by Skeletons from the Necromancer as you can see in the Video!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb7TMJQf7ho&feature=youtu.be

    submitted by /u/Autruxx3
    [link] [comments]

    Wallpaper: Fiery Runes II: For Hong Kong

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 12:00 AM PDT

    Fiery Runes II: For Hong Kong

      

    Main: http://fav.me/ddi3us1
    Alternate: http://fav.me/ddi3zf0

      

    This fiery runes wallpaper is for Hong Kong. A nice elegant wallpaper that has all 75 runes I have ever made in the flower on their flag.

      

    At first I wanted to just have the runes there but then it was hard to make out. Only when you took a step back would you see it (I added the flower faintly and it looked better).

      

    So I have two versions. One that is like I planned, and the other that has Hong Kong's colors a little more obvious and I think it looked great.

      

    I hope you guys like.

      

    Share it and enjoy it!

      

    HK

    submitted by /u/Holyknight3000
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment